Read PDF A True Yarn: Liberty Ship Captains Deeds and Follies

Free download. Book file PDF easily for everyone and every device. You can download and read online A True Yarn: Liberty Ship Captains Deeds and Follies file PDF Book only if you are registered here. And also you can download or read online all Book PDF file that related with A True Yarn: Liberty Ship Captains Deeds and Follies book. Happy reading A True Yarn: Liberty Ship Captains Deeds and Follies Bookeveryone. Download file Free Book PDF A True Yarn: Liberty Ship Captains Deeds and Follies at Complete PDF Library. This Book have some digital formats such us :paperbook, ebook, kindle, epub, fb2 and another formats. Here is The CompletePDF Book Library. It's free to register here to get Book file PDF A True Yarn: Liberty Ship Captains Deeds and Follies Pocket Guide.

They were evidently not ac- credited by Lord Culpeper, else we should hardly account for the friendly esteem in which his son was held by his lordship's widow. We know, from many instances, that the colonists were not always just in their treatment of those who happened to incur their displeasure. It appears they had thought well enough of Capt. Jones to offer him offices which he in turn had thouofht little enouofh of to decline. The paper itself is inconsistent as it is incontinent, for in one place it attempts to make him out an in- significant sort of fellow, and in another admits him to be the most dangerous of all the class complained of.

If he was more dangerous it could only be be- cause he was more influential, since his opinions could be hurtful only in proportion to the degree of weight and credit they carried with them. It con- founds all distinctions of guilt, and holds him equally criminal for expressing an opinion as to the legal effect of their public acts, for sheltering pirates in violation of his official duty, and for stirring up seditions among their majesties' subjects.

The Captain Roger Jones. His residence in the colony was temporary, and appears to have been so regarded by him from the first; for he did not attempt to identify himself with its interests, as he might have done to some extent, at least, by accepting the offices tendered him. He is reputed to have owned considerable prop- erty, and to have lived in handsome style in the old country ; and, indeed, it is not improbable that ex- travagant living there drove him to seek reparation of fortune in a new field, in which it is said he was happily successful.

Certain it is, he maintained the port and dignity of a gentleman. On his harness and on his coach he displayed his crest and coat-of-arms, and dressed his servants in the livery appertaining thereto, as was the custom with the gentry of that day. He was sole surviving descendant from his mother, who was a Hoskins and sole heiress of her family, whose arms he therefore quartered with his own. Both his mother's family and his wife's were ancient families of high respectability ; and the obvious fact need not be mentioned, that he and they ranked well up in that class known as the gentry in England.

His mother's arms, as described in the letter and inclosed slip of paper, are the same as those of Hos- kins of " Barrow Green," near Oxted, county Surry, and of Higham Castle, county Cumberland, Eng- 30 Jones Genealogy. I have corresponded with this family in England, and have seen letters from others on the subject, and they all agree that our ancestress must have belonged to the " Barrow Green " family, because, they allege, she had the engrailed chevron, all others of the name having the chevron plain.

The Barrow Green family came originally from Monmouthshire, Wales, and has been a rather distin- guished family. Catharine, only daughter of Sir John Hoskins of this family, married, in , the third duke of Devonshire. There was a baronet also. From him, as I am informed, descended the late Thomas Hoskins of Higham Castle, whose daughter, writing to me on this subject lately, said : " That your ancestress was of the same family is shown by the arms quartered, which are correct with ours and the Hoskins of Barrow Green.

There are many monuments of the Hoskins family in the Church at Oxted. Roger Jones we find this item : " I give to my tenn friends hereinafter named the sume of twenty shillings apiece to buy each of them a ring, that is to say. Sir Richard Haddock, Coll. Philip Ludwell, Arthur Bailey, Esq. Captain Roger Jones. He died at his house in Stepney, then a suburb of London, in , and was buried at Mansfield as directed in his will, as the following certificate from the Vicar of Mansfield, obtained by me in , will testify : " Parish Church of Mansfield, Nottinghamshire Burials, Jan : 6.

Capt : Roger Jones. His will, a copy of which appears in the Appendix, is dated August 17th, , which, according to the old style of reckoning time from March 25th as the beginning of the year, would come, as it should, be- fore Jan. In it he directs that he is " to be buried at Mansfield in the county of Nottingham, in the grave with my late wife Doro- thy daughter of John Walker of Mansfield aforesaid Esqr. Arms, M. C 9, fo. I also have extracts from the parish registers of Mansfield, which show that Dorothy, daughter of Mr.

John Walker, was baptized there Sept. This is doubtless the Frederick for whom Capt. Roger Jones named his elder son. The pedigree of this family as recorded in the Vis- itation of Notts is given below in plain letters, while the parts in italics have been added from the parish registers of Mansfield and other sources by Dr. Issue: — I. Living , married Eliza, da. Roger Jones. Argent, three annulets in an orle of nine cinquefoils sable. Crest: A buck trippant vert, attired or. Captai7t Roger Jones. April 12, Mention is also made of several Walker children and grandchildren. John Walker is mentioned in the will of John Mason as surrendering closes at Mansfield in Administration of his effects was granted to Su- 5 34 Jones Genealogy.

Issue of 2 Capt. There is among our papers a letter from him to his brother Thomas in Virginia, dated Jan. I have also an examined copy of his will, which was made July 7th, see in the Appendix , and as it is dated April 9th, , he of course died between these dates. From his will it appears that he left a large estate, especially in lands, which were lo- cated in what was then known as Albemarle county, North Carolina, in Chowan, Hyde,. Craven, and Beau- fort precinct. He also appears to have held import- ant official trusts in that colony.

Jones of Virginia. Captain Roger [ones. Secretary William Cocke and his wife Elizabeth Catesby. Jones died in Hanover county, Va. His wife died in Northumberland county, March nth, From him are descended all of our known Jones family, except only the children and grandchildren of his brother 3 Frederick, whose names are given in this sketch, and whose residence, so far as known, has been confined to the State of North Carolina. The first intimation we have of the whereabouts of this gentleman is in the survey of ; soon af- terward, in 1 , we find him at the Virginia Coffee House, the then favorite stopping place for Vir- ginians in London, where he received from Lady Culpeper the note referred to in my introductory letter.

Later in life he was uniformly addressed as colonel, which is said to have been used in Virginia, in early times, as a title of honorable distinction. He took up and patented large bodies of land in Vir- ginia, between the periods of and There were granted to him, by patent in , two thou- sand acres in King William county; also seven hun- dred and sixty-five acres in the same county; an order was made by the Council May 2d, , allow- ing him to take up and patent twenty-five thousand acres in Nansemond county; May 2d, , an order forfive thousand acres in Henrico county; June 15th, 36 Jones Genealogy.

Much of this land he no doubt sold again, and the remainder he divided into plantations, which he cultivated with his slaves, principally in tobacco. The slaves were worked by overseers, who were employed for the purpose, and the tobacco was annually shipped to the cities of Liverpool, London, Glasgow, Bristol and other places.

He appears to have been of a social and con- vivial temperament, and to have maintained quite friendly relations with the colonial governors, at whose mansions he was a frequent visitor. He evi- dently died well advanced in years, for one of his nieces, of North Carolina, in writing to him some time before his death, takes occasion to congratulate him on his green old age and excellent health.

There are a number of courtship letters in my pos- session which were written by him to the lady he afterwards married, full of tenderness, indeed, but evidently written by an old bachelor. He settled on his wife by marriage articles eighty slaves and their increase, besides a quantity of valuable land, and several houses and lots in Williamsburof. He appears to have had extensive dealings with a certain Sir John Randolph of London, perhaps lat- terly of Virginia, to whom he had made large ship- ments of tobacco, extending through a period of many years, until Sir John's decease.

He also, about the same period, had some business transactions and complications with one Capt. Edward Randolph, who about that time made an assignment for the benefit of creditors. The death of the one and the assignment of the other appears to have greatly complicated matters, and necessitated a good deal of correspondence between Col. Jones and Cols. William and Richard Randolph as executors of Sir John.

In one of these letters, dated Hanover, Oct. Richard Ran- dolph concerning my affairs in his hands as executr. John Randolph. Edward Randolph and me. It was this Col. Jones who wrote the two letters of , and the description of arms heretofore alluded to. He was evidently much in love with his wife, who, although a widow, was not twenty-four years of age when he married her.

I think he was educated in New England, where he also probably married. She was Fred's executrix. This gentleman, in a letter to his Uncle Thos. Jones of Virginia, signs himself "cousin" instead of "nephew," which is an instance of the use in olden times of the word " cousin " to express any relationship less close than parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, brother, or sister. It appears in a letter from him to his uncle 4 Thomas of Virginia, dated Aug. Frederick Jones. He was a member of the Assembly that met at Edenton, in which capacity we find him figuring July 30th, I have written a gfreat number of letters to North Carolina in the hope of discovering some representa- tive of this branch of our family, but without avail, except as to some of the descendants of '.

There are several very good impressions of the Swann arms on the seals of old letters written by this lady to her uncle and father-in-law 4 Col. Jones of Virginia, on one of which is an impression of the Jones arms quartered with Swann, as alluded to in my introductory letter. The Swann arms are, Field azure, a chevron Or between three swans Argent. Crest, A demi lion rampant. There are on the chevron certain small figures which are too indistinct for me to make out. Issue of 4 Col. C, born Dec. He was clerk of Northumberland county court, which was then an hereditary office, until 1 , when he removed to his seat, " Spring Garden," near New Castle, in Hanover county, where he died He is represented in contemporary letters as living in great style at Spring Garden, which is described as being a beautiful and most delightful country resi- dence.

His widow and a part of the family continued to reside there for a long time after his death, and from their residence there, and from the beauty and elegance of this homestead, they began to be dis- tinguished by the rest of the family as "the Spring Garden Joneses. Jones owned several large plantations, which he kept constantly in cultivation.

He was evidently a gentleman of fine culture and intelligence, and was a liberal patron of the fine arts. In one of his letters to his brother Walter, then attending medical lectures at Edinburgh, he desires Walter to select for him a number of paintings by noted artists, and gives him a list of those he already had, in order, as he says, not to get two of a kind.

He owned a large and valuable estate, for he had nine children to provide for, yet in a letter to Coun- cilor Carter in regard to the marriage of his son Thomas and Col. Carter's daughter, he proposes to make a deed to his son for the plantation on which Col. Jones was then living, containing about seven hundred acres of land, to leave the furniture in the house except a few pieces, all the stock on the place, and eleven or twelve working slaves; which, he says, is all he " can do at present, having lost a good many valuable slaves that went to the enemy.

John Turberville, to whose daughter his son Catesby was making his addresses, he pro- poses to give Catesby his clerkship, which, he says, is worth, one year with another, four hundred pounds, and to make him equal with his other children at his death. Copies of both of these letters may be seen in the Appendix. Donald, merchant, of Glasgow, Scotland ; second, Mr. Arbuthnot, and died about 1 , leaving no issue by either marriage. Her first husband was a wealthy merchant of Glasgow, but he subsequently resided awhile in Henrico county, Va. He devised his estate to his widow, except a legacy left to each of his two sisters, Isabella and Margaret, of Scotland.

This family of Donalds were cultivated people of high social standing, not only in Virginia, but also in Scotland, where they owned country seats and did a large mercantile business. There are several letters in my possession which were written by different members of this family in Scot- land to this lady's mother, Mrs. Jones, and they ex- press the greatest respect and friendship for her and all her family. Dorothea devised the greater part of her estate to her brother William and his daughter Elizabeth. The residence of his father-in-law, Samuel Swann, was called " The Oaks.

Thos Jones of Virginia, date Jan. Colonel Tho7nas Jones. The name of his only son was changed from Jones to Swann, by the persuasion of his bachelor grand-uncle, John Swann, supplemented, no doubt, by prospects of an ample inheritance. His descend- ants, at the present time, are known only by their adopted name. He often visited his brothers and relatives in Virginia, where we find him as late as Charles Carter, of Cleves, Hanover county, Va.

Her mother was a Miss Walker, of Virginia. He was sent to sea before he was sixteen years old. He appears to have been an affable gentleman of good intelligence and sterling character, and held some official positions in the colony. About the year 1 he purchased and removed to a farm in Petsworth parish, Gloucester county, which he called Marlfield, and whither he soon removed his family. The first fifteen or twenty years of his married life he spent in the counties of Hanover and King William, where most of his children were born. Ann Carter, the only child of his wife and her first husband, married John Catlett, an eminent lawyer of King William county.

They removed with their parents to Gloucester county, where Mr. Catlett also 44 Jones Genealogy. Both of the farms remain in possession of the descendants of these respective first pur- chasers to the present time, whose famiHes are also now happily united by the marriage of Maryus Jones, of Marlfield, to Mary Armistead Catlett, of Timber- neck. At Marlfield is the cemetery of this branch of our family, and it contains some interesting monu- ments to the dead. The family were Episcopalian, and worshiped at Petsworth church, a grand old building for those days.

He lived but a few years after his removal to Gloucester county, where he died leaving a large family of boys to be reared by a devoted mother. He was the ancestor of all the Gloucester pounty Joneses. Their children were, in , one son and six daughters. There were marriage articles between her and her husband. Colonel Thomas Jones. King's Creek was doubtless in James City county, not far from Williamsburg, on York river, and near a creek of the same name. Her husband dying before entails were abolished, the eldest son Nat inherited the ample estate to the ex- clusion of his brothers and sisters.

King's Creek appears to have been an early burial ground for some family, for Mrs. Burwell to his brother-in-law. Jones, which are written in a scholarly style, and are full of affectionate respect for him and his family, being invariably signed " Your affectionate brother. Burwell's coach met them at New Kent Courthouse, which conveyed them home that night ; Bettie Burwell is a fine plump girl, hath a good deal of sense and vivacity, and behaves herself extremely well ; if I was Capt. Walter Jones, born Dec. His residence, called " Hayfield," was in Lancaster county.

At a very early period he was sent to school at William and Mary College, in Williams- burg, where he became the schoolmate and fast friend of many youths who afterward became conspicuous in their country's history. Jefferson was there, and Bathurst Skelton, rivals even then for the hand of little Miss Wayles ; and the friendship there be- gun or cemented between him and Bathurst and Jefferson continued during their lives.

In a letter written by him at this time to his brother 1 3 Thomas, Colonel Thomas Jones. At Edinburgh he early enjoyed the reputation of being a young man of great promise, both socially and as a student. George Donald, under date of Oct. This will no doubt inform you that he has taken his degree of M. I have the pleasure also to inform you that among the several letters I have lately received from Scotland, Dr.

Jones is mentioned as a person of the first merit. A very sensible gen- tleman in Glasgow Mr. Kippen particularly says that Dr. Jones is the most shining young gent, of his profession now in Edinburg, and that he will make 48 Jones Genealogy. McMiken who is just returned from Scotland speaks of Mr. Jones as a gent, of great reputation, and which is not alone confined to his profession. Walter writes to his brother Thomas : " I have heard of poor Bathurst's death for several months — it was not less grievous than unexpected — he really was amongst those friends who I thought with some confidence would welcome my return, should it happen — the news shocked me in a peculiar manner, as I had not very long before heard of his marriage with Miss Wayles, and had with pleasure reflected on the happiness he must enjoy with a woman the accomplishments of whose person I was acquainted with and the more valuable disposition of whose mind I have heard with praises from all who knew her.

He was great-uncle and guardian of grandpa Jones and his sisters. With reference to one of his can- vasses for Congress, we extract the following from Garland's Life of John Randolph, page "By such persuasions as these Gen. Lee was induced to offer himself as a candidate for congress in West- moreland district — Westmoreland, the birth-place of Washington!

On the other hand by the persuasions of Mr. Jefferson Dr. The canvass between these two champions of adverse wishes and sentiments was very animated. In colloquial eloquence and irony, no man could surpass Dr. Jones; but he was over- matched by his antagonist in popular address and public eloquence. Jefferson is said to have been very fond of Dr. Jones' society, and they were together a great deal when in Washington. Thomas Jones; born Jan. Flood, received by devise from a Dr. William Savage, nephew of Dr.

Walter Jones' father-in-law, a large estate in lands, houses, and lots, situated near Edenton, North Caro- lina. Issue of 13 Col. Jones, whose only son removed to Kentucky, and became the founder of the Kentucky family. He was a major in the Revolu- tionary war; his delicate health, however, keeping him from the field, although he rendered valuable service as a recruiting officer and in other lines of duty. He married, first, Miss Beckwith, who died 7 50 Jones Genealogy. On an old volume among my grandfather's books, I find pasted to the inside of the back an engraved copy of the Beckwith arms, which may be identified as follows, viz.

Beckwith of Yorkshire quartering. Or a saltire and chief dancettee gu. In escutcheon Or a chev. Motto, loir en Bien. This was perhaps as wealthy a family as there was in the State of Virginia, and Councilor Carter was perhaps the wealthiest member of his generation. He is said to have manumitted a thousand slaves in one day. This is a large number, to be sure, but it is certain that he was very wealthy and the owner of a great many slaves, to many of whom he gave both liberty and land.

See the Carter family. His sec- ond wife died in the summer or fall of ; he died at Bathurst, 1 It is a part of an old grant to Francis Meri- wether, made in Upon the decease of the lat- ter's widow and the division of the lands which she held as dower, the tract embracing the present locality of Bathurst House fell to Theodorick Bland and wife, who was a daughter of Francis Meriwether.

Bland and wife subsequently sold it to their brother- in-law, Francis Smith, who married Lucy, another daughter of Francis Meriwether. Bathurst then de- scended to Meriwether Smith, the first representative in Congress from that district, who first gave it the name " Bathurst. Major Jones was then living in Henrico county, but removed to Bath- urst, and at his death devised it to his only son, Thomas ap Thomas Jones, my grandfather, who in turn sold it to one Lawrence Muse in 18 10, and shortly afterward removed to Kentucky.

Major Jones owned a schooner which he called the " Polly," and which appears to have been largely devoted to pleasure excursions up the bay. He was evidently greatly beloved and respected 52 Jones Genealogy. Walter Jones, his uncle, whom he made the guardian of his children.

There are many letters in my possession that passed be- tween him and his father-in-law, Col. Carter, which show the relations existing between them to have been of the most cordial character. In some of them allusion is made to the Swedenborgian doctrine of faith, of which Col. Carter was an avowed disciple and to which Major Jones appears seriously to have inclined at one time.

From all that I have heard of him or been able to glean from the records, he must have been a truly refined Christian gentleman; amiable and hospitable, he kept a house of excellent good cheer, to which his friends and relatives were ever more than wel- come. For a time his seat was " Mountzion," in Westmoreland.

He was in some way connected with the military, and bore the title of major. Patrick Henry, and was pro- moted to major in He was an ac- tive, energetic business man, and a high-spirited, cul- tured gentleman. Benjamin Franklin. Meri- wether was a lawyer, and a distinguished political writer and leader of Richmond, Virginia; was the founder of the newspaper The Rich7nond Examiner, which he edited for many years and until he was killed in a duel, when he was succeeded by his brother Skel- ton.

See the Richmond Va. Standard of Septem- ber 25th, , for some account of this family. He is said to have been engaged in several duels. It is also stated that he eloped with his wife, he being a lad of only seventeen summers and she a miss of fourteen. Governor George William Smith, of Virginia, who lost his life in the conflagration of the Richmond Theater, married, his widow. He is the Meriwether Jones referred to by Gov. Upper Georgia. There are among our papers several letters from him to his brother. In one of these he requests the loan of some money, and offers to secure it by a draft on the Treasury, from which I infer that he was then holding some official place.

In fact it appears, from one of these letters, that he was then in the midst of a heated canvass, but it does not appear for what office. In another he speaks of the birth of a son on April 29th, He died, leaving the following children, viz. Memin, Drexel Coll. In one of these, dated Oct. Carter Braxton was one of the signers to the Dec- laration of Independence. Louis Hugh Girardin, a French gentleman, who undertook the work with him, was also killed in a duel. Skelton Jones is said to have killed several men in duels, and in consequence to have become very morose, remorseful and unhappy, in the latter part of his life.

I have several letters from him to his brother Thomas and to grandpa, which are always kindly and affectionately written. Nathaniel Ander- son, of Virginia. He was in the Continental army at the age of seventeen ; was United States circuit judge, and resided at Lexington, Kentucky, during his incumbency. He was a near relative of President James Monroe. Louis, Missouri. They had also a son, 54 Dr. John W. Belfield, of Richmond county, Virginia, and died soon after her marriage, without issue. The name of their residence was " Bellemount.

See the Belfield family. Heliotype Printing Co. Major Thomas ap Thomas Jones. Jones, the founder of the Kentucky family, who was an only son, was born in Virginia in ; removed to, and settled in, Clark county, Kentucky, about His family seat in Virginia was called " Bathurst ;" it was in Essex county, not far from Tappahannock, and has, as before stated, acquired quite an historic interest.

He sold Bathurst in 18 10, when he was about to remove to Kentucky. His wife and he died at their home in Clark county, Kentucky ; he on April 1 2th, ! It is most likely that reduced fortune, and the ne- cessity of retrenchment which it entailed, induced him to leave Virginia, although he had a very neat estate in money and slaves when he reached Ken- tucky, where he was reputed to be the wealthiest man in his county, at that time.

Having determined to locate in Clark county, he purchased land and built the old Jones homestead, since destroyed by fire, which was situated on what is now the Kentucky River turnpike, some two and one-half miles from the river. His farm adjoined that of Dr. I know nothing of my grandfather, except what others, principally outside of the family, have told me. He was rather small of stature, had dark eyes, beard and hair ; was of quiet, easy manners, some- what reserved, very firm, and withal a very distinctive character.

He was amply possessed of personal bravery, and those who knew him knew full well that he was not one to be provoked or trifled with. He was a man of fine intelligence, of varied and most extensive general information, of very delicate sensi- bilities, and great dignity of character.

In early life he went to Richmond, Virginia, to read law under his uncle Skelton Jones, but soon abandoned the idea, for what reason I know not. He had great confidence in the integrity of men ; being himself scrupulously honest in all his deal- ings with mankind, he expected the same of others, with the usual result of financial injury to himself.

In early life he had been much in and about Wash- ington and Baltimore, and had come in contact with many of the prominent characters of the times, which made him an exceedingly interesting conversational- ist. He was hospitable, and fond of entertaining at his home ; was a most assiduous reader, systematized and digested well what he read, had a good memory, and sustained the reputation of being the best in- n en a.

But he was not merely regarded as being a well-informed, intelligent gentle- man ; by many he was regarded as one of undoubted intellectual greatness. Said a certain legal gentle- man to me, whose astuteness in judging of men is well recognized by those who know him, and whose brother was a very promising graduate of West Point, " My brother always said your grandfather was the best informed and most intellectual man he had ever met. If, for instance, he were con- versing with the humblest individual who should mis- pronounce a word, he would adopt the man's pro- nunciation rather than call his attention to the mis- take by using the word correctly.

He left a number of slaves in Virginia, and fre- quently went back there to collect their hire, when he would drive through in his family carriage. On one of these occasions, arriving at his friend's house in Virginia after the family had retired, he declined to disturb them until they arose in the morning, and so he and his servants spent the night out-doors. There was something in his manner that never failed to inspire respect, and the same was true of his wife.

Said a certain physician to me not long since, and with no little emphasis, " Who that knew your 6o Jones Genealogy. Davis, of Frederick county, Virginia. Their only child, 58 Col. Jekyll Lucius Davis, was a graduate of West Point. After graduating he served a few years in the United States Army as a lieutenant, during which time he acquitted himself with great credit as a young officer in the Florida Indian wars. He was every inch a soldier, both by nature and by acquirements.

At the breaking out of the late war he was living quietly on his farm in Henrico county, near Richmond, Virginia. He im- mediately repaired to the capital of his State, and became actively engaged in the preliminary prepara- tions for the war that seemed inevitable. His opin- ions as a military scholar were held in high esteem, and were much sought after and relied upon by mili- tary men. He wrote a book of tactics called the "Trooper's Manual;" organized the Henrico Light Dragoons, of which he was captain ; served a year, after the war began, with Gen.

Wise, as colonel, but he really commanded the Wise Legion ; after- ward joined the command of Gen. Stuart as colonel of the Tenth Virginia Cavalry. Major Thomas ap Tho7nas Jones. Soon after the battle of Gettysburg, he charged at Hagerstown, Maryland, with only a remnant of his regiment, a body of five thousand cavalry under Gen. Kilpatrick, when his horse was shot under him and fell on his leg, and several squads of the enemy's cavalry passed over him.

As he still held in his hand one of his large revolvers, although prostrated, the enemy came near shooting him, but took him prisoner and sent him to Johnson's Island, where he was detained for nine months. He died in Buckingham county, Virginia, in , about sixty-three years of age, and his remains were received at Richmond by the governor and his old soldiers, and were interred with military state in the cemetery of Immanuel Church Episcopal , four miles from Richmond.

He first married Frances A. Berkley, a daughter of Dr. His second wife was 62 Jones Genealogy. Walter Jones. He was a brave soldier and a Christian gen- tleman. He was born in , and was indeed among the bravest of the brave who gave their young lives to the cause they loved but could not save. In the Appendix may be seen a Memoir of his life and services taken from the archives of Virginia Military Institute, from which I make the following extract : "On Friday, the 24th of June, , in a cavalry fight near Samaria Church, Charles City county, Va.

As the regi- ment swept across the field, young Davis shouted to his company, ' Look out, boys, I will be first in the enemy's works. Just as he was passing over the parapet he received full in his face the charge fired from the gun of one of the foe stoop- 58 Col. Lucius Davis, 10th Va. Cavalry, C. Inspired by his brave example his comrades rushed on, stormed the works, avenged his death, and gained a victory for the cause that had brought about the death of one of their bravest boys.

Cat- lett. She visited grandpa in Kentucky. Jones, who was born in , married 16 Col. Joseph Belfield. John Belfield, who married her sister. Omohonder, and I am informed has an interesting family ; 70 another daughter, the wife of William Wilson, of Northumberland county ; and another daughter, 71 Mrs. The name of their family seat was " Mild View. Char- lie was a Confederate soldier from Missouri, and, although a mere boy, was conspicuous for his daring bravery.

He served through the war, married the daughter of a Methodist preacher, and died leaving issue. Browning, of Clark county, Kentucky. See that family. He is a farmer in this county in comfortable circumstances, whom both his tastes and an exceedingly sensitive nature have confined closely to the walks of private life. He has a good library to which he is devoted, and from which he has acquired a rich fund of varied and interesting scien- tific knowledge. I have yet to know one of his sex whose daily life and conversation has been so free from impurities of every character.

He is said to greatly resemble my grandfather in character and disposition, and what has been said of the latter's mental qualities, I think, may with equal propriety be applied to my father. During the late war, our family were known to be intense Southern sympa- thizers, and my father was very fearless and out- spoken in denouncing the Union cause and policy toward the South. This, with the circumstance of my brother's being in the Confederate army, natur- ally enough subjected us to a full share of Federal surveillance, which culminated in my father's arrest and incarceration in jail at Lexington, Kentucky.

Here as a little child I used to visit him and talk with him through the gratings of an iron prison-door, while the Federal guards stood with bayonets crossed between us. Their children are as follows: 9 66 Jones Genealogy. Jones, who married John W. He en- tered the Confederate army before he was seventeen years of age, in the fall of , upon the first occu- pation of Kentucky by Confederate troops. He served under Gen. John H. Morgan, the famous " Rebel raider," until he was captured after the fight at Buffington Island, on that daring and hopeless raid into Ohio, in July, Declining to take the oath of allegiance to the Federal government, he remained a prisoner of war in various Northern prisons, principally at Camp Douglas, Chicago, for eighteen months, and until he was sent around on exchange about the close of the war.

He had attempted a year previous to overtake Gen. Morgan, in one of his flying raids into the State, but was captured by Federal pickets and lodged in jail at Lexington, Kentucky. After the war he studied medicine, and in graduated an M.

Aboard One of the Biggest Container Ships in the World - The New York Times

He located in this county, and has continued the prac- tice of his profession with increasing and gratifying success. Thomas ap Thomas Jones. In the spring of he located at Winchester, Kentucky, and entered upon the active practice of his profession. He was elected county attorney for his county in , and again in ; and was elected judge of the County, or Probate, Court for his county in , which office he now holds.

Moore, a brother of John W. Moore who married her sister Mary T. Woodford, only son of S. Woodford, of this county. Their children are : 96 Leon' Catesby Woodford, 97 Thos. He married, first, Miss Blaydes ; and, second. Miss Elizabeth Poston, of this county, neither of whom had issue. He then adopted for his daughter Miss Etta Gordon, whose name was changed to Jones, who is a most estimable lady ; is the wife of R. Stu- art Taylor, of this county, and is the mother of several children.

Jones, who married Mattie Allen, of Fayette county, Ky. Martin, a son of 27 Dr. Samuel D. Martin, of Clark county. See the Lewis family. Jones from photo by MuUins, Lexington, Price, and afterward under Gen. Marmaduke, and who is married and has issue. Marmaduke, and who died in Clark county, Kentucky, while a student of medicine, at the house of his grandfather. Martin, on April 14th, He was a gentleman of elegant social and intel- lectual attainments. He was very decided and outspoken in his views, and was very warm and generous in his attachments.

He was a druggist in Lee's Sum- mit, Missouri, and was drowned while out duck shoot- ing. They had one child, Roger' Blackwell. He married a second time and left children. Jones, who married Miss Alia Gay, a daughter of Jas. Gay, of this county, and who is now a commission merchant, and engaged in a general warehouse business in Winchester, Kentucky. The following account of Gen. Jones was copied from Appleton's Cyclopaedia of American Biography, and sent to me by his son, the late Brig.

Army : " Jones, Roger, soldier, b. C, 15 July, He was appointed 2d lieutenant of ma- rines on 29 Jan. He received the brevet of major for services in the battles of Chippewa and Lundy's Lane, and lieuten- ant-colonel for gallantry in the sortie from Fort Erie. On 10 Aug. On 7 March, , he was ap pointed adjutant general of the army, which post he held till his death. He was brevetted brigadier-gen- eral in June, , and major-general in May, Roger Jones, writing to me under date of Feb.

Major Catesby Jones. C, July 15th, He and grandpa were very much attached to each other. There are among our papers several letters from him to grandpa, while he was a young marine, which are full of expressions of tender regard and almost girlish affection. In one of them headed " U. Petersburg with Mr. Adams, the minister to that court, etc. In one headed " Rich- mond, April 5th, ," when he was at the age of sixteen, he writes, " I assure you I have passed my time very unhappy since we parted, owing principally, I believe, to our separation, but sincerely do I wish we may not continue long in that situation, for your company has been and ever will be more preferable to me than any I have yet met with.

The following in regard to him, copied from Appleton's Cyclopaedia of American Biography, was sent to me along with the notice copied above of Gen Roger Jones : " His brother, Thomas ap Catesby, naval officer, b, in Virginia in ; d. C, 30 May, ; entered the navy on 22 Nov. From till 2 he was engaged in the Gulf of Mexico, where he was successful in suppressing piracy, smug- gling, and the slave-trade.

When the British naval expedition against New Orleans entered Lake Borgne in 18 14, he endeavored to intercept forty British boats with his small flotilla. Although wounded and compelled to surrender, his conduct was much praised. He commanded the Pacific Squadron in , and took possession of Monterey on receiving the erroneous information that war ex- isted between the United States and Mexico, for which he was temporarily suspended from the serv- ice. In regard to this extract, Brig.

At the same time, our government was glad he acted as he did, and there is no telling how much it hastened the conflict with Mexico, which gave us an empire of priceless value. For his conduct in the battle on Lake Borgne, the State of Virginia presented him with a sword. Feni- more Cooper, vol. On the latter, in particular, the resistance made by Mr. Jones, and the officers and men under his orders, reflected great honor, for it was known to have been made almost without hope. Circumstances compelled the assailed to fight to great disadvantage, and it would seem that they struggled to render their chances more equal by a desperate but cool gallantry.

In consequence of this defense it is usually thought, in the service, to bestow as much credit on an officer to have been present at the defeat of Lake Borgne, as to have been present at a signal victory. Their children were: I. Beal; HI. He used to be at grandpa's a great deal.

He contracted a proverbial aversion for Ken- tuckians, principally, I have been told, because of their crude manners, which no doubt savored a good deal of pioneer roughness at that time. He left issue: I. Jones, dead; H. Jones, living near Leesburg, Virginia; HI. Hayes, Esq. Gordon, a soldier in the Mexican war, died of fever in Mexico; HI.

Ball; both dead. Issue of Gen. Jones, who graduated at West Point among the first of his class, and was a lieuten- ant in the U. Ring- gold's Battery of Artillery. Navy, and a first lieutenant and then commander in the Confederate States Navy. He is thus spoken of by Capt. Charles M. Fauntleroy, a captain in the late Confederate States Navy, and a gentleman not with- out honors won in the service of his country: " Catesby Jones was a first-class gentleman, and an officer of distinguished ability.

Jones was wholly unexpecting and unprepared for such a catastrophe. He was a man of great purity of life and practice, very quiet and firm, but very determined in danger. From a sketch of Capt. Catesby ap R. Jones, written by Capt. Robert D. Minor of the Confederate States Navy, I have taken some lengthy extracts which may be seen in the Appendix. There are also other papers copied in the Appendix, which testify abundantly to the distinguished merit of this accom- plished officer and gentleman.

C, gradu- ated at Princeton College in the class of , and re- ceived his diploma as an M. C, in April, He was appointed junior assistant on the house staff of Bellevue Hospital in May, , and subsequently occupied the position of senior assistant and house surgeon, residing in the hospital as assistant surgeon for fourteen months.

He acted as assistant surgeon, for a short time, at Newport Barracks in Kentucky, and afterward at Governor's Island, N. In he settled in New York city, and continued the practice of his profession in that city until , when he removed to California, where he died of inflamma- tion of the lungs, on Jan.

During the late war, Dr. Jones had entire charge of the large government hospital on David's Island, near New York city. On the 23d day of May, i, 8o Jones Genealogy. She died in New York city, on the 12th day of Feb. After six months' study at this institution, he concluded that the profession of law was more congenial to his tastes, and entered the law school of the University of Maryland. Here he received the degree of LL.

In September, , Dr.

Navigation menu

Army, and was after- Brig. Roger Jones, late Inspector General, U. General Roger Jo7ies. As lieutenant in the U. Army, he was in command of Harper's Ferry at the breaking out of the late war, and when the Confederates at- tempted to capture it, he ordered to be thrown into the Potomac 20, stands of arms which were stored there, dismantled the armory and rifle factory, and marched to Washington hotly pursued by the Confed- erates, for which service he received the thanks of the government.

He remained loyal to the Union during the late war. He was a lieutenant in the U. Army, but resigned at the breaking out of the late war, and joined the Con- federate army. II 82 Jones Genealogy. He was paymaster on the Confeder- ate States cruiser Tallahassee during her cruise along the Atlantic coast and off New York harbor in Mills, daughter of James G. Mills, of. Savannah, Georgia. He is at present a prosperous commission merchant in Savannah, Georgia. To no one am I more indebted for zealous co-operation and patient and uniform courtesy in col- lecting materials for these notes, especially in regard to the descendants of 29 Catesby Jones.

In the Appendix is a copy of a letter from Gen. When in command of the De- partment of South Carolina, Georgia, etc. C, on Dec. Navy as clerk to Commander Richard L. On his return to the United States he studied law, and was admitted to practice in the courts of the District of Columbia in When Virginia seceded he was appointed lieuten- ant in the provisional army of Virginia, and was sub- sequently made a captain in the Confederate Army. He served on the staff of Gen. Magruder through the campaign in the Peninsula, and rendered valuable service to the " lost cause " until the end of the war.

After the warCapt. Jones was engaged in mercantile pursuits in New York, Indiana and Texas, finally locat- ing in Macon, Georgia, where he has been engaged in a lucrative commission business for fifteen years. He married, on Nov. Her mother was Isabella Berkley, of Tennessee.

Roger Jones, who went to San Francisco when a mere youth, is now successfully engaged in business in that city, being vice-president of the Security Savings Bank of San Francisco. This great-uncle's residence was called " Swann Point," and was in North Carolina. He married Sally Moore, a daughter of Gen. James Moore of Revolutionary fame. William Jones. Swann, of Wilmington, North Caro- lina, from whom I obtained such information as is here given of this family. William Cutlar, who was captain of a sloop.

Roger Cutlar. Archie Cutlar. Jones, of Petersburg; and Frank Binford, of Richmond, Vir- ginia; all valued co-laborers with me in the prep- aration of these notes. They lived at " Marl- 86 Jones Genealogy. He and his wife died within short intervals of each other, leav- ing a young family to be cared for by others. Bullock, of Richmond, who, being wealthy and child- less, bestowed on her every care and afforded her every opportunity that affection could suggest or wealth supply.

She married James J. Binford, a prosperous merchant of Richmond, Virginia, and at her death left three sons, as follows: I. Harris, of Petersburg. He was a hat merchant in the city of Richmond prior to the war, and after the war was clerk in the capitol until a few years ago, when he re- moved to Owensboro, Kentucky. He has returned to, and is now living in, Richmond, Virginia. He served three years in Otey Battery, Confederate States Army, during the late war, and surrendered at Lynchburg at its close.

Catesby Jones, who also bought the old homestead, Marlfield. He married, November 25th, , at Marlfield, his cousin Isabella Taliaferro, who was also a ward of Col. Catesby Jones, and died at his resi- dence, in Gloucester county, called " Belle Roy" in honor of their united names. He was a consistent member of the Methodist church, an Israelite indeed in whom there was no guile. His widow, who now resides in Richmond, Virginia, has been a most un- tiring and valued assistant in the preparation of these notes, especially in regard to the descendants of 17 William Jones.

Their children were four sons, as follows: I. At the age of seventeen he enlisted in Carter's Bat- tery, Confederate States Army, which was from King William county, and after serving gallantly for two years lost his left arm at the battle of Gettysburg. Episcopal church, of which their parents are devoted members. Before he had attained his seventeenth year he en- listed in the Confederate States Army, and served faithfully through the last two years of that fierce conflict, helping to fight the last great battle at Appo- mattox Court-House.

During the war he received injuries from which he has never recovered. He is a member of the Episcopal church. Roy, born Sept. Roy, was born at Belle Roy, May 30th, At the age of seventeen he entered the Vir- ginia Military Institute, where he remained through a course of four years and graduated with distinction, taking the second degree in a class of forty-five. He is now engaged in the mercantile business in Rich- mond, Virginia, and is a member of the Episcopal church. William Jo7ies. See a memoir of his life and services in the Appendix. His wife survived him but a few years. Their children were, I.

They reside at Petersburg, where he is engaged in bark and sumac milling and in the tobacco busi- ness. He was a volunteer soldier in the Confederate States Army, surrendering with General Lee at Ap- pomattox Court-House, when he was yet but four- teen years of age. In the spring of , I was entertained by him and his wife at their home in Petersburg, and I shall not soon forget the cozy picture of domestic love and happiness which their home life revealed to me. They have five boys, viz. They are members of the Presbyterian church.

She died without issue, and he married her cousin, Mrs. Eliza Cook, a charming and superior woman with five grown children. He studied law with his brother-in-law, John Catlett, Esq. Catlett, at his death, leaving Col. William his executor without security, and guardian of his children ; and Col. William, in turn, leaving his nephew, John Catlett, Jr.

He was a man of great mark in his day ; served in the War of J 81 2, and was colonel of militia for many years. He was eminently distinguished in his pro- fession, practicing in the courts of all the surround- ing counties, and was commonwealth attorney for twenty-five years, and until the day of his death. It is said that he served in the State Senate and House of Representatives for ten years, and was elector for his district as long as he lived. He was a great snuffer and, therefore, properly enough a great sneezer.

He was a fair orator, an William Jones. He received as a portion of his first wife's patrimony a place called " Concord," lying immediately on York river, where he lived for half a century, dispensing an ele- gant hospitality to all who chose to claim it.

A True Yarn: Liberty Ship Captain's Deeds and Follies by Dan Cornwell, Paperback | Barnes & Noble®

His home was a school to all children who entered it, in all that pertained to manners, morals and education. He was very exact, perhaps fastidiously so, in his observance of the rules of correct speaking. Indeed, he was remarkably systematic and exact in every thing — shaved and dressed each morning with as much particularity as if he were expecting a dinner party ; and his large old-fashioned silver watch, as if not to be outdone, kept honest time, it is said, for forty years, without once stopping or his once for- getting to wind it up.

Having no child of his own, he first adopted his youngest brother Catesby, whom he educated at William and Mary College ; and after Catesby's marriage, he adopted his eldest daughter, Lucy Taliaferro, called Lucy Catesby, to distinguish her from other Lucys of the family. He died of pneumonia on Nov. Planes and small craft of all sizes, crowded with newspaper reporters and photographers, where all over and around us when we entered port. The harbor was packed with tankers, freighters, and passenger ships.

As soon as I stepped ashore I became aware of the strict regulations imposed on the people of South Africa separating colors of skins and races. I wondered how our crew of West Indians and Japanese would be treated. But I was too young and certainly too selfish to worry about all those things. The city was beautiful. I got up and very politely, in French, apologized for speaking to them.

I explained my reason for being in Cape Town. The ladies were very friendly and soon we shared an excellent lunch. The elderly lady expected her husband to arrive that day with their car aboard the Dutch passenger liner SS Bloemfontein. They had just returned from a holiday back home in Belgium and intended to travel by car, through the heart of Africa back to Usumburu, capital city of the Belgian colony of Ruanda - Burundi where they owned a big garage.

What a safari! I wished I could make that voyage with them! Great Britain , France and Belgium still shared most of Africa among them and traveling through the continent was quite safe at that time. The next day, my new friends took me up to the summit of Table Mountain in their car before leaving for their long journey.

I took a sight-. The South African country side was beautiful and reminded me of the South of France. There were fertile fields, vineyards, green hills, blooming trees. They spoke good French. We were able to exchange our impressions and became friends. On my return to Cape Town , after dinner, I sampled the local brew in a large beer hall full of noisy sailors. A brass band playing popular tunes added to the high noise level of the place.

At one time, I witnessed a developing conflict between British and Scandinavian seamen. Rapidly the exchange of insults degenerated in a general fight; fists, then beer glasses and bottles began to fly through the air, blood erupted from squashed noses. I am of a peaceful nature, allergic to violence, and have always avoided such brawls in public places. I had already paid for my beer and could escape the "battlefield" unobserved and without harm. The next morning I wanted to go aboard my ship for a shave and a change of clothing. There were hundreds of sightseers watching her being towed out of the floating dry-dock.

I recognized my two Italian friends from the day before who introduced me to their hosts. They were Maltese. The gentleman was the general manager of a large bank in Cape Town.

John Brown (abolitionist)

They invited me to their home, a beautiful residence on the outskirts of the city, close to a beach of sparkling white sand and treated me to a delicious lunch. Afterwards, they loaned me a pair of swimming trunks for a dip in the warm waters of the Indian Ocean. We spoke French the whole time; they were charming hosts, very cultivated and I promised myself I would learn Italian in the coming months. They brought me back to port that same evening. I took them aboard the Universe Leader and afterwards we visited an Italian passenger ship moored on the same pier.

She wrote me of her engagement to a flight engineer of Sabena, the Belgian airline. I often have asked myself what had become of her and her friends during the big mess and the many conflicts, after Belgium was forced to give independence to the Congo and her other colonies. During the few days of our stay in Cape Town , our unlicensed crew members had been well taken care off by the other ethnic communities of South Africa. All of us brought along many pleasant memories of this beautiful port. We headed directly for the Northern entrance of the Strait of Malacca, passing near the Island of Mauritius.

We longed for mail, for news from home, for a change of scenery. I love long sea passages. We stayed five to six days at Sungai Pakning until the river tankers had brought enough crude oil down from the oil fields up-river to fill our ship. Again I met my Dutch friends and enjoyed agreeable afternoons and evenings sipping numerous bottles of Heineken beer, lunches and dinners at the club of delicious curry and other Indonesian dishes. At last were bound for San Francisco.

We crossed the International Date Line from East to West, which gave us an extra day on our calendar. We encountered some Pacific squalls and gales, and were about three days out from San Francisco when John Rawles came into my radio room one afternoon. He asked me to type a fake "received message" from our Company's Main Office to the Master saying in brief " There has been an earthquake in San Francisco. A sand bar shifted under the Golden Gate Bridge , and with our draft we could not enter the Bay We were ordered to turn back and proceed to Honolulu there to discharge our cargo He was there when, as seriously as possible I handed the typed message form to the Captain, who read the message, looked at Rawles, at me, then broke down in a such a fit of laughing he had to sit down Later, with John Rawles, he invited me to his office for a drink.

McGuire was leaving us on our arrival in San Francisco. Daniel Haff had hoped to succeed him as skipper. But Captain Mygind became captain and Haff left, very much disappointed. I had been forewarned that Captain Mygind, a grouchy Dane was hard to get along with. He wanted to leave the ship to get married. It was arranged that I would replace him. The Petro King docked up stream at Martinez at about the same time we arrived at Richmond. Her master was Captain Gates, a quiet gentleman from Texas , who neither smoked nor drank and read his Bible every day. I relieved the radio operator. It was not my style.

A doctor was summoned aboard. While injecting him with a shot of penicillin, the Irishman collapsed and had to be taken ashore. Since I was the only radio operator available I was called back. I bitched, I complained, but I had to accept my fate. Sailing with Mygind was fun, after all. John Rawles was replaced by Ruby. He was another memorable character, loud mouthed and full of I was not yet familiar with radar repairs. He called Ruby to the bridge.

When we came back to San Francisco I told the radar repair technician about the problem. Naturally he had to replace the damaged magnetron and other parts. He traced the original trouble to a faulty high voltage interlock switch on the PPI indicator console. Walking back to my ship, in the evening, in a state of "euphoria" and my bag fully loaded with French books and magazines, Gauloises cigarettes I was still smoking at that time and a few good bottles of wine and Vermouth, I saw a Norwegian whale factory ship loading oil.

There was an Englishman in civilian clothes walking along side me. He started to ask me all kind of questions, like what I was carrying in my bag etc Taking him for another seaman, I told him He blew up! You are engaged in unlawful contraband of prohibited alcohol beverages, in violation of Kuwaiti law, subjected to fines and jail sentences …bla bla bla For two years, I had sailed in tropical waters and my whole system needed to be purified by the fresh sweet mountain air.

I took breakfast rides on horse back, serenaded by cowboy songs while being fed large amounts of pancakes. Ludwig's National Bulk Carriers. She had cargo holds instead of oil tanks. The aft accommodations were for engine room, engineers and crew quarters, galley and messes. While going up and down-river I had to keep a permanent watch for ship traffic with VHF radio stations. In the ambient humid heat, the local beer tasted good.

We were lucky to come back to Morrisville without meeting any hurricanes. I met Captain Bird in his office. I asked to be his radio operator again, and Southwell and Bird agreed. Sharp and Co. One of their representatives met me at my arrival. In , after I had left her, her name was changed to SS Frisia. Her route was the same: loading crude oil at Sungai Pakning for California.

Captain Gates, formerly skipper of the Petro King , took command. Around December, we tied up to mooring buoys off El Segundo, north of San Pedro, near a large electrical power plant and discharged our cargo to the shore through submarine pipes lines. When she was discharged, it was a long climb up. In January, the Universe Challenger went to Kure for her first dry-dock period. My French passport needed to be renewed at the nearest French Consulate, which was Kobe. I got permission from Captain Gates and from the Japanese Immigration authorities to travel by train to Kobe where I arrived late in the afternoon.

I took a room at the Oriental Hotel and went "pub crawling" around the Moto Mashi railroad station. It did not take me long to become friendly with a very lovely "hostess" in a bar. Maria Pace was born in Argentina , of mixed Spanish-Japanese parentage. It was not for financial reasons only that she consented to become my lover. Together with the "gifts" I gave her, the hotel, dinners, sightseeing and other unplanned expenses, it was an costly shore leave. But it was well worth it! And I had enough cash left over to buy a telephoto lens for my Asahi Pentax camera.

Then I returned to Kure. One day we had to enter Long Beach Harbour for some repairs. A dense fog covered the entire Californian coast. The crew launch who took us ashore got lost trying to find her landings. Once I stepped on land, I noticed a black sedan on the dock A few husky men in blue jeans and chequered shirts loitered nearby; right away, I "sniffed" them out as custom's agents. My conscience was clear, I did not carry any contraband.

But I wanted to have some fun. I went towards them and "spontaneously" opened my bag "for inspection". They were not too happy to have been recognized, and sent me on my way. Again I needed a change. By pure chance I met Mr. I volunteered to help him with passport, immigration and other formalities.

We travelled in comfort with refuelling stops at Honolulu and Wake Island. But there was not enough time for sightseeing while we waited in an air conditioned terminal lounge for ground crews to service our airplane. I then went to Kyoto. Monsieur Hauchecorne, professor at the French-Japanese Cultural Institute, was an old friend of mine.

He had lived in Japan all his life. Kyoto , once the capital of Old Japan, was a beautiful city with many palaces, gardens, temples. I feared that an ambiguous situation would arise between us. I was lucky to find a well maintained radio room. The ship was well kept and clean, the chow tasty and plentiful. As long as we avoided talking about war and politics we got along well together. The crew were Spanish and Greek. They were excellent seamen, friendly ship mates. Only the Greeks, as usual, , created many problems by their controversial attitude.

Fultot was a careful and experienced mariner. We did not go ashore. All crew members signed on in the Far East were to be paid-off in Japan. I did not know where he got that. The truth was that I was too efficient in my work as a purser and Fultot wanted to keep me on board. I did not make a big fuss about it and decided to stay on. I did not regret my decision. I had visited Dogo Onsen the year before. It was a pretty little "hot spring" resort town. We all had a good time during the five days of our stay.

As always, I left Japan with good memories and regrets, promising myself to come back. Crossing the Pacific, Fultot treated us to a cocktail party to celebrate the passage of the International Date Line. This was the first of my many Panama Canal passages. I was greatly impressed by this monumental work in such a hostile environment, and fascinated by the handling of the ships while passing through the many locks.

We took on a cargo of crude oil at the Punta Cardon, Amuay Bay , oil terminal. It was at the entrance of the Maracaibo channel. I have noticed that when a Captain and his Chief Engineer dislike each other, it makes waves on board a ship. Balls sided with the Greeks, who were an endless source of trouble.

Many of them had problems with the US Immigration Authorities. Their papers were never in order and they were denied shore leave in US ports. The Greeks usually defied the immigration rules and went ashore anyway. If caught, the ship risked heavy fines, but Fultot was unable to correct the situation and to call them to order. The crew had bought a lot of souvenirs in Japan to bring back to their families in Greece and Spain : - the usual music boxes, dolls, photo albums, and other cheap trinkets found in the shops around port cities.

They had no great monetary value. One day, arriving in Boston , a whole squad of mean custom inspectors searched the ship. Those items had no real monetary value. The Spaniards and Greeks could not afford expensive cameras and other electronic devices. They did not engage in contraband. But the mean chicken sh… Bostonians leveled heavy fines on the poor sailors. Luckily the Company settled with the authorities. They were aboard the Harold H. Helm , the U. Santos was a welcome change, in contrast to the expensive US East Coast ports, unfriendly to seamen, and the dirty oil ports of Venezuela.

Work was slow in Brazil. In a nightclub I met a French speaking Spanish lady who had lived in Marseilles. In , you could take a streetcar from Callao to Lima. After visiting the Cathedral, near the Government Palace , I bought some silver objects and llama skins on Calle de la Merced. The old buildings dating back to the Spanish Vice Royalty of Peru where falling apart.

With Llopis, we formed a good team. In Santos and Callao , Fultot sold several boxes of 50 cartons of cigarettes from our stores to the Port Captains and Chiefs of Customs. Since I was in charge of the slop-chest, he gave me a few dollars from the sales. During the German Occupation, Fultot had belonged to a collaborationist clique of the Vichy regime. My conscience was clear.

I admired and respected General De Gaulle. Who was I to judge my fellow-man? When going ashore together,. Fultot told me of Argentine customs, described the night life of Buenos Aires. I always paid my share of taxi fares, restaurant and bar bills and other expenses. I was proud and did not want to take advantage of our camaraderie. The first one was from Uruguay.

Probably he had jumped ship in Santos , and was trying to find a cheap passage to the United States. Heavy fines were imposed on the ship and her owners for carrying stowaways to the US. When the man was discovered hiding in a life-boat, Fultot shut him up in a spare cabin for a day or two, then he made him paint and chip rust on deck alongside the other sailors.

Luckily for us he was never caught. The second stowaway was a Greek. I suspect that our Hellenic sailors helped him aboard and kept him under cover. This time, Fultot got mad. I must admit that the food improved considerably after that. To get to the nearest bus stop, I had to walk about a mile on a deserted road, with an arctic northerly wind knifing through my thin summer coat.

I took a bus to the 42nd Street terminal and had a quiet diner at the Midi on West 48th Street , one of my favorite French restaurants, before getting back aboard my ship. Llopis and myself were sorry to see Captain Fultot leave the ship. From that day on, the Chief Mate and I ran the ship.

Fafoutis was always tired. He slept all day. At night he came on the bridge. In the wheel house, he turned the lights on! When we came into port, I had to wake him up to sign all the crew and customs lists, cargo manifests, clearance and other papers for the local port authorities.

I had to prepare the pay rolls all by myself. Fultot had warned me about the Latin American ports. Otherwise, if unhappy, they could impose fines, cause endless harassment to the ship, and it would cost more money to the Company to get out of trouble than the few cartons of cigarettes, khaki trousers, shirts, razor blades, bottles of booze and other slop chest items from our stores to gratify their greed.

After our first voyage with Fafoutis, we docked in Brooklyn. The President of Maritime Overseas Corp. The Company was in financial trouble. There would be a general reduction in wages. I was the most efficient radio operator and purser in their whole Liberian flag fleet. They wanted to keep me and I could stay on board with my old wages approx. I accepted, but I did not feel too comfortable about it. I would be paid more than the Chief Mate, who had his overtime reduced as well.

The next morning, I could not remember where my ship was docked in Brooklyn. Luckily the port captain of M. Llopis arrived a few minutes after me; and a launch took us aboard. Until that day I had never missed a ship nor been late for departure. Off Mollendo near the Chilean border, tied up to mooring buoys, we discharged the rest of our payload through an undersea pipeline.

There was a very heavy swell and no shore leave was being granted I felt uneasy about making more money than the Chief Mate. I had the impression that the company had me by the b And, for the first time aboard a ship, I was scared, each time the captain came on the bridge at night, turning on the lights in the wheel house, while we sailed through the crowded sea ways of the Caribbean and the US East Coast.

I began suffering from some kind of intestinal disorder, certainly of psychosomatic origin. We docked on a very cold Sunday evening in January of Snow was freezing on the winches and deck gear. Maine in hose days was a dry state and no wine or beer was served with my dinner that evening. I was frustrated. For a few days I was hospitalized for observation and tests painful barium-enema X rays and sigmoidoscopy! They could not find anything wrong and referred me to a psychoanalyst. It did not cure my intestinal problems.

They plagued me until, in , a severe abdominal surgery removed polyps from my intestines, which luckily were not malignant. I stayed in New York until the beginning of March , lodging at the Jai Alai, and taking my meals at the Champlain, my favorite French restaurant on West 49th Street. Then I went to see Maritime Overseas Corp. They refused my demand.

Yes, they would repatriate me to France , but I had to pay my own way to get back to Japan. The cheap and stingy bastards charged me, their employee, full cargo passenger fares to sail on one of their own ships! The weather was good, the chow I have never been interested in financial matters. It was a boring voyage for me, having nothing to do.

But I was coming back to Japan! I got off the Overseas Joyce in Kobe and moved directly to Kyoto. Four US servicemen, on leave, were staying at my hotel, and we became good friends. All five of us, with a few pretty maids from the inn, took part in the festivities. That evening I met the conductor of the new Kyoto Symphony, a reputed German musician from Kolln and his charming wife. The US occupation had ended, the people were eager to enlarge their economic and cultural horizons. They were friendly and open to foreigners.

I was not worried about the future, did not think of saving money. Western style and culture were fashionable. Young boys and girls met and dated in coffee houses or tea rooms. Each of those had their own style: Some were playing classical music only on their hi-fi sound systems, some others had complete collections of jazz records. That is where one could find me almost every late afternoon, where I met my dates and friends.

During the day, he dressed in British tweeds, with his handkerchief hidden in his sleeve He lived in a Japanese style house with thick tatami mats on the floor. I admired a precious and antique set of Japanese swords he kept in front of his desks. I had an excellent sushi for breakfast. I studied the different styles of wood block prints. I got a brush, ink and paper to practice Oriental painting. In the spring of , the latest French films were very popular in Japan. They were fierce, tense, emotional dramas. There were no English subtitles, I did not understand one word of Japanese.

But thanks to my fertile imagination I made up my own stories. I enjoyed most of all the magnificent period settings of architecture and furniture, the insides of palaces, the gardens, the ancient costumes of lords and ladies, all fastidiously and artfully recreated for the screen. Of course, I was never lonely at night; my loves were called Michiko, Kimiko, Sumiko, they were exquisite, sweet, devoted.

But the state of my finances started to deteriorate, and I thought of looking for a ship again. I had written to Mr. He had secured me a free trip to Japan the year before, and I had sailed for another company. He did not hold it against me and assured me of a berth on board the next ship to come out of the Kure yards in May.

As a Frenchman, I was given a two-month tourism visa each time I came to Japan. As before, I stayed at the Senba Hotel. Captain Bird and Borje Borjeson arrived shortly after me. On her days off we journeyed together to the holy island of Myia Jima, on the Inland Sea, right across from Hiroshima. I always like to sail on a new ship. I organize the radio station in my own orderly manner. And I enjoyed my own bathroom: Shower and head! The weather, Eastbound, was good.

We won an extra day crossing the th Meridian of longitude, the International Date Line. The latter is a little more annoying to repair. We exchanged addresses, corresponded, and our friendship endures to this day. Borje Borjeson, before sailing from Japan , had bought a large quantity of ripe and delicious strawberries. He waited too long before putting them on the menu as dessert. This occurred after the incident with the bird. I am not superstitious, but what happened to the Ore Meridian afterward left some unanswered questions on my mind.

He gave us the impression of being happy to have chosen our Ship. Several times a day he swept low over the waves hunting for prey. He threw a rag over the hawk and took him down to the crew quarters where he tied up his feet and wings. I got mad. From the steward I got half a pound of raw ground beef, a bowl of fresh water and let him rest in peace. But, probably mad at us, he rejected my peace offerings. As soon as he was recovered from his ordeal, he flew off, searching for a more hospitable ship on which to settle down.

We reached the Panama Canal without further incident. There were checkpoints every ten kilometres on the river where we had to report our passage and note other vessels positions, relayed through a controlling radio station. A heavy traffic of ore ships, dredges and other cargo vessels steamed up and down the river. The few towns and ports - Puerto Bolivar, Puerto Ordaz, were surrounded by the lush jungle forest where still a few primitive Indian tribes survived in There were no leaks.

I was kept busy with lengthy radio messages. The ship was inspected by the local American Bureau of Shipping surveyor and allowed to proceed, at reduced speed, to Baltimore for ship yard repairs, after discharging her cargo of iron ore. In Baltimore , I got into a violent argument with the Chief Engineer. In Japan , he had bought several thousand dollars worth of dishes, silverware, furniture and other house-hold items.

He wanted me to make a list for the US Customs, several dozen of pages long. He had never been particularly friendly to me. I would not get any overtime for all that extra work, and he was not the type to show me his appreciation. The Chief Engineer would have to find some one else to type his …blasted customs declaration. It was not by plane or by road that I was dispatched to New Port News, but by a passenger ferry. It reminded me of the old Mississippi river boats one sees in Western movies. In there were still such passenger ferryboats running on the Chesapeake Bay from Baltimore to Norfolk.

It was great fun; I had a comfortable cabin, the food was good, drinks plentiful, and the mood joyous and festive I replaced her Estonian Radio Officer due for his annual vacation. A nearby paper pulp mill radiated a heavy smell of rotten eggs over the whole area. There were still no news from National Bulk Carriers about any new assignment for me. I lost patience and decided to go up to New York. I travelled by Greyhound bus. I spent a weekend in New York , visiting old friends, seeing the latest French movies, dining at the Champlain on W 49th St. On Monday morning, I went to see Mr. Ludwig, besides the Kure shipyards and his large fleet, had diversified into many other projects: Horse ranches in Venezuela , oil refineries in Panama and hotels and resorts on Caribbean islands.

On the Mexican Peninsula he had set-up a sea-water evaporation plant for salt. This dredge was scheduled for her dry-docking period at a San Pedro shipyard. Sailing on open international waters, a radio watch was required , and I was to be her radio operator for the round trip.

An American Chief Engineer made the voyage with me aboard the twin-engine plane. It was an interesting flight. Baja California , is a dry desert. After diner, a few of the crew went ashore. But I preferred to swim in the lagoon, and the fishing was fantastic! Some of our crewmembers rented a car to explore the greater Los Angeles area. On 2nd of October , a Liberian-flag Liberty Ship loaded crude sea salt. I sailed on her as a passenger for Vancouver in British Columbia.

My old acquaintance, C. He booked me on a first class sleeper train for Kure Ludwig had entered into another venture: building a series of dredges for the Venezuelan government.

  • {dialog-heading}.
  • Liberty's Folly, Used - AbeBooks!
  • Die Entwicklung der Amerikanisierung in Deutschland (German Edition)!
  • Wait Wait Bo Bait.
  • Woman In A Lampshade;
  • cradle of liberty?

The first was the Zulia , contracted to keep the Maracaibo sea channel open for shipping from its Caribbean entrance to the Lake. Four drag heads cleared a feet wide path on the sea bottom. It was a monster. Refer to the sketches —drawn from memory. In the chart room was a huge drawer cabinet for charts. Rather awkward for the mate to watch his chronometers from so far away. But he got mad at me. Lucky for me, we were in I made the acquaintance of a secretary at the shipyard offices. This time, it was not, as usual, a casual physical encounter nor a friend-lover relationship like the one I had with Hatsuko in Hiroshima over the last 3 years.

It pained me to have to break our old relationship.. I was 37 years old, in love at last or so I thought We spent our week-ends together in a Japanese style inn on the outskirts of Kure. We became friends with a group of young students and their teacher, with whom we corresponded for many months afterwards. We had a crew of about men aboard. The Ryu Kyu Islands were still American occupied territory. National Bulk Carriers personnel department estimated that the Japanese were more efficient in their work than the nice and gentle Caiman Islanders.

I got along well with them. As usual I was in charge of all the paper work, but this time I had a crew member assigned to me as a clerk. I appreciated his help. We settled into the routine of a Trans. As soon as we were on the high seas, I sent out a general radio call on Khz:. I like to be brief but courteous on the air. I avoid contact with Greek radio operators. They always want you to relay messages for them free of charge.

He was a very good captain, and specialized in dredging operations. We had a very nice Spanish Chief Mate. Our American Chief Engineer was working almost 24 hours a day, trying to fix all the too many bugs. Three times a day I copied all the weather forecasts along our route. But small local tropical squalls are not always predictable. We had not yet passed the th degree of longitude, when one night we encountered moderate gale force winds and swells.

The ship started to roll and to pitch, and all the gear began to break loose. Ludwig in Hong Kong where he was supervising the building of his private yacht. I believe the Kure shipyard was responsible, not foreseeing that heavy seas could put the dredge at risk, neglecting to inspect and test the restraining gear of the weighty machinery.

We stayed five days in a shipyard. Steel plates were welded all around the boom turret, heavy chains tied down the dredge heads and the long boom pipe, all gear was very solidly secured and inspected by shore engineers. Then we sailed for Venezuela the other way around, at eight knots average speed. We were grateful for our air conditioned quarters. It was to be my first passage through the Suez Canal.

It reminded me of pirates assaulting a Spanish Galleon But passing through the Suez Canal was not as interesting as the Panama Canal transit. Excepting Port Said , only an occasional oasis of palm trees relieved the monotony of the sand dunes. We anchored in the Bitter Lakes and saw many tankers and freighters of all nationalities passing by. The music broadcast from the Egyptian radio stations reminded me of the cries of a charred cat.

  1. Shop by category;
  2. The Enlightenment Entitlement (Sagas of the Brethren).
  3. A True Yarn : Liberty Ship Captain's Deeds and Follies by Dan Cornwell | eBay.
  4. A True Yarn: Liberty Ship Captain's Deeds and Follies.
  5. Hakes Auctions.
  6. cradle of liberty?
  7. Not my kind of music. In the Eastern Med, I got a bad tooth ache. His drill was an old fashioned one, driven by a foot pedal rotating a large wheel, like "grand'mother's sewing machine". I needed about six injections of Novocain for a local anaesthetic. And then it still hurt like hell when he pulled my tooth with all his strength. I had to ask the agent to offer me a glass of Sherry in a local bar.

    We were to sail the next day and Bird was worried about the weather across the North Atlantic. This was also my first passage through the Straits of Gibraltar, the first time I saw the Columns of Hercules. Universe Tankships planned to throw a big party for the Venezuelan Government officials in Maracaibo. Bird had nothing to worry about. Then, LAND!!! And soon afterward the usual routine. I helped Captain Paarn give out the draw to the crew. Good solid earth under our feet when getting off the crew launch In a fraternal gesture, he loaned us the required apparel.

    Trinidad was still British in During our long voyage we had accumulated a gigantic thirst. The joyful and noisy crowd let us pass to the bar. Maybe they recognized thirsty seamen. It was a beginning and took care of our most urgent needs. He, in turn, since I was a Frenchman, chose from the menu an absolutely splendid bottle of vintage Burgundy , to go with our main course. Karl and I thought we had earned it. And the dancers would still pass under it, with lit torches, well balanced, not one part of their body touching ground. We were too lazy to look for female partners and join the festive crowd on the dance floor.

    The band on our request played again this lovely tune for our enjoyment. We were thirsty again. Meanwhile Captain Bird and Borjeson had bought more liquid supplies to add to those already acquired in Gibraltar. We thought that we deserved better this time, we were not again to be shut down in our quarters with box lunches. They agreed to admit us officers among the guests. It could be that Bird, stingy old b.. Maybe had he never heard of this Latin-American practice?

    The Venezuelan customs impounded the whole stocks of cases of bottles of whines, liquors, whiskeys, gin, and beer, leaving us only the Coca Cola and other sodas…. They had the crew load all of it on barges, and store it in a sealed warehouse. It was late at night when we finished the big job. Bird was a thoughtless bastard. As usual, he did not give me any draw, nor would I be paid overtime for this work which after all was beyond the duties of the ships radio officer and purser.

    A launch brought me back aboard the ship late the next morning to report to Bird with the complete lists of the impounded merchandise. I cannot remember under what conditions the Venezuelans returned the alcoholic beverages to the Zulia. I was not present at the negotiations nor was I kept informed.

    But the planned party took place three days after our arrival in both air-conditioned mess halls of the aft accommodations and it was a big success! And after the ice creams and pastry there were the finest liquors and cigars to end it all. At the party I met a charming French couple from the Alsace. We spent delightful hours talking of our country, over cool drinks. They had many common acquaintances with my parents. I always left with a thick pack of French books and periodicals, welcome reading material with news from home. During the few months I was on board the dredge, I never had the opportunity to go farther south to see the hundreds of oil derricks planted like beanstalks in the middle of Lake Maracaibo.

    After the party, the Zulia went to her task: No longer sailing on the oceans. At an average speed of two knots, the dredge steamed back and forth along the shipping lane, 24 hours a day, from the entrance near Amuay Bay , South of the island of Aruba , to a line level with the city of Maracaibo , and back. Her long boom swung out at degrees to her longitudinal axis, the big pipe spewing the dredged mud and sand out beyond the channel limits.

    At night, powerful search lights pointed ahead and to the sides illuminating the channel buoys, bright navigation lights signalling her position. We met large tankers riding high when they came from the outside, low, fully loaded with oil when they returned from the oil fields bound for the refineries of Europe and of the Americas. They were curious about us. They were aware that we cleared their shipping lanes. During her dredging operations, Zulia kept contact with the shore by VHF radio from the bridge. The whole operation became very boring for me. I stood my regular eight hours radio watches on Khz, copying the weather forecasts for the Caribbean and the Gulf of Mexico.

    The hurricane season was several months away. Otherwise, I was not very busy and I missed sailing on the high seas to foreign shores. Our air-conditioned quarters kept us well protected from the humid heat of the Tropics. The dredge suction heads were hoisted out of the water to be scraped and cleaned. Worn and damaged parts were replaced. It was hard work for the crew, all that gear was heavy in the oppressive heat. Launches from the land brought mail and provisions alongside. Mail service between Japan , France and Venezuela was good. I corresponded regularly with my girl friend Motoko.

    Her English was excellent. My mother also wrote her from time to time. In downtown Maracaibo , the Venezuelan company had leased a few rooms in a small, clean and air-conditioned hotel where the crew could relax and enjoy themselves until they returned aboard the next Sunday. The Japanese from Okinawa were hard working and sober fellows.

    Big department stores, like Sears, supermarkets lined large avenues in the shadow of palm trees. Near the water front were the Sheratons and Hiltons. It was agonizing to walk during the day among the shade-less streets, in the humid heat, under the cruel tropical sun, where no fresh sea breeze could lighten the ambient air. Captain Paarn became master of the Dredge. Gregg was a little more extrovert. It gave me the strange impression of a disorderly mixture of high rise buildings, city blocks of slums, quiet residential areas, golden baroque churches, a network of elevated freeways, atrocious traffic jams, crowded streets There was no speed limit on the freeways.

    The first time, I lost patience and left the taxi, but found myself squashed and suffocating in the dense throng of people. I suffer of acute claustrophobia and I am allergic to crowds. And the humid heat added to my anguish. Afterwards I remained inside the taxi - some of them were air-conditioned - until I had arrived at my destination. I went sightseeing in Caracas and its surroundings: I visited the Botanical Gardens, the local zoo.

    I ascended Mount Humbolt by cable car. It was cool up there. In the evenings. Right after take-off, just when retracting her landing gear, the aircraft lost her number three engine. It was very scary. I was seated in the aft First Class section of the plane. A delicious dinner and enough wine and liqueurs helped me to overcome my discomfort.