Vulture Finds the Bridge From the Red Hot Chili Peppers’ ‘Under the Bridge’
Kiedis was set to relapse, while John Frusciante's well-documented struggle with addiction would hit an all-time low when he left the band for the first time in Though Under The Bridge is a song about both the isolation of addiction and recovery, it manages to be both gentle and triumphant, while remaining one of the band's most-loved hits. Your privacy is important to us. We want to better help you understand how and why we use your data.
View our Privacy Statement for more details.
On Air Now
Under the Bridge, a song by Red Hot Chili Peppers on Spotify
By The Way. Red Hot Chili Peppers. Download on iTunes. Download 'Scar Tissue' on iTunes. Download 'Under The Bridge' on iTunes.
Download 'Dani California' on iTunes. View Privacy Statement. View Cookie Statement.
- Add your thoughts?
- Under the Bridge?
- Backpropagation: Theory, Architectures, and Applications (Developments in Connectionist Theory Series).
- Piccole e Medie Imprese Che Battono la Crisi (Italian Edition).
- Vulture Finds the Bridge From the Red Hot Chili Peppers’ ‘Under the Bridge’?
- A Solemn Caution Against the Ten Horns of Calvinism.
- Why Red Hot Chili Peppers' Under The Bridge Is Anthony Kiedis' Most Honest Song;
But only three of those could potentially be the one he sings about, and each is problematic. The First Street bridge is a steel stringer structure that spans Figueroa Street. It is open to a busy street and offers the narrowest of walkways underneath. The bridge at Temple and Figueroa, a foot span built in , has a similar problem. In fact, the only bridge that looked even remotely likely — where Beverly Boulevard crosses over Glendale Boulevard — is, like the others, too exposed to traffic for late-night speedball fun.
So I asked a writer friend, a former junkie, about where in that area they would get their dope, circa the late eighties. By that point, the park had become notoriously drug infested and dangerous. But there are no bridges close enough to count as a place where you might draw some blood, forget your love, or give your life away. After staring at the map for hours , trying to plot every conceivable approach, I became convinced Kiedis made it up.
- More by Red Hot Chili Peppers.
- Vulture Finds the Bridge From the Red Hot Chili Peppers’ ‘Under the Bridge’.
- The Return of the Messiah.
- Jennifer Morrison to Lead CBS Pilot ‘Under the Bridge’ – Variety.
- A Touch of Salsa-Volume 1, An exciting look into Mexican life from an expat who lives there..
- Jennifer Morrison to Lead CBS Pilot ‘Under the Bridge’.
- Using Theory to Enhance your Guitar Playing!
I mean, why not? Or maybe he was afraid to admit he hit his low point in MacArthur Park because people would forever associate his existential crisis and subsequent sobriety with an oft-mocked song about a soggy cake. To be certain, I walked down Sixth, past Union Street, and made my way into the park.
It is a pleasant space, with palm trees and benches, grassy areas for picnics, a small lake, and paths for strolling. I walked toward the lake and discovered a small pedestrian tunnel underneath Wilshire Boulevard, which bisects the park into north and south. Inside, it looked like a school art project had been painted over decades of tagging, layers of violent history under a family friendly mural.
It might be clean and safe and have a happy octopus, but not that long ago it was the stomping ground of gangbangers and dope slingers. It must be the bridge in the song. It links Sixth and Union — the intersection Kiedis claims he was walking toward — with the drug dealers at Seventh and Hoover.